One of my very first Cocktail Fridays was The Grasshopper.
And then, last summer, I made mint chocolate cupcakes.
And now, I bring you Grasshopper Pie from The Boozy Baker.
Here’s the recipe for Grasshopper Pie from the cookbook. I made a few edits in the instructions, to share what worked best for me! It’s a really old school recipe (like, from the 1960s), so I don’t feel that bad about publishing it…
- 1 store bought chocolate crust (she has a crust recipe, but the store bought one is what I used)
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 cup heavy cream, divided
- 1 .25 oz packet of gelatin OR vegan gelatin alternative
- 1/4 cup green creme de menthe
- 2 tablespoons creme de cacao
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Whisk together the egg yolks, sugar and salt until thick and pale yellow. Set aside.
- Over VERY low heat, add the gelatin to the heavy cream. Whisk continuously until almost simmering.
- Temper the egg mixture by adding a few tablespoons of the cream to the egg and whisk it. Then, add the egg mixture to your saucepan of cream. Cook over low heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture is thick enough to coat a spoon.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the creme de menthe and creme de cacao. Transfer to a large bowl and ‘fridge for 20 minutes, or until the mixture is just slightly thickened.
- In the meantime, whip the remaining 1 1/4 cup heavy cream into whipped cream. Stir 1 cup of the whipped cream into the mint mixture to lighten it. Stir in the chips, and then stir in the remaining whipped cream. Pour into your pie crust, and fridge until set. For us, that was about 4 hours.
Enter to win your own copy of The Boozy Baker here!