As much as I love a good mimosa, sometimes your weekend brunch choice just needs a savory cocktail.
Enter: The Celery Sling.
No, but seriously, this cocktail– consisting of gin and CELERY flavored soda with a salt-and-pepper rim– is absolutely delicious, and a wonderful, vegan alternative to your usual Bloody Mary.
Think of it this way: using a more herbal gin (like Hendrick’s instead of Tanq), and fresh-ground black pepper, you’re already in Aromatic Territory, my favorite part of the map in CocktailLand. (It’s like adult Candy Land, I guess.)
Then with the addition of 4-ish ounces of Dr. Brown’s Cel-Ray soda, which has a light, greenish and celery flavor? OMG, delicious.
Here’s what you need:
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1-2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 1 ounce Hendrick’s gin
- 4 ounces WELL CHILLED celery soday
- First, combine your salt and pepper in a small dish.
- In a separate dish or ramekin, pour a dash of water or celery soda.
- Dip the rip of your glass in the water or soda, then roll it around in the pepper-salt mixture.
- Then, carefully pour in your gin, and top with your well-chilled celery soda. It has to be chilled because we’re not serving this over ice or putting it in a shaker.
I ended up garnishing with some fresh basil leaves, but you can leave them out if you don’t have any.