Have you ever had a breakfast soooooo perfect that you had to tell people about it?
This would be it, for me.
A nice high stack of perfectly-grilled French toast!
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- butter for grill or pan
- crusty, dry, somewhat stale bread
- Whisk together eggs, milk, and vanilla until completely combined.
- Put the mixture on a rimmed baking sheet, and lay your pieces of bread in the mixture. Wait a few minutes, then flip the bread.
- Leave the bread soaking until the mixture is completely absorbed.
- Melt your butter in your skillet or grill. Put the soaked bread onto the hot surface, cooking for a minute or two until browned on that side. Flip and continue browning until all egg mixture has been cooked.
- Remove, and serve as desired.
I always ad a sprinkle of cinnamon to mine, then douse in syrup and butter. Cause, as I’ve mentioned, I’m a baby hippo.
This was the inaugural project for the griddle my mom god David for Christmas. A success, I’d say!
My favorite breakfast is French toast. I’ve been trying to “lighten” it up a bit in the past few weeks by eating omelets and such on the weekends. But I must say. My sweet tooth does not have an end when it comes to weekend brunch.
One of the best French toast breakfasts I’ve ever had was at Maxwell’s, a great, seedy cafe in my neighborhood, about a mile west. You know what it was?
French toast with peanut butter and chocolate chips. Heaven on a plate!
What’s your favorite brunch?