- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- Vanilla extract
- 1 ounce bourbon (I use Bulleit)
- 1/2 ounce maple syrup (I used grade B natural stuff)
- 2 shakes orange bitters
- Cinnamon stick for garnish
- Mix together the cinnamon and sugar in a cup, and sprinkle onto a plate.
- Pour a scant amount of vanilla extract into a saucer, or dampen your fingertip with extract if you’re feeling familiar. Rim your glass with the extract.
- Swirl your now-damp glass rim in the cinnamon mixture to create a rim.
- In a shaker, shake the bourbon and syrup over ice until nice and melty. Strain carefully into your rimmed glass.
- Shake a bit of orange bitters as a float into your drink.
- Garnish with a cinnamon stick and enjoy!
The bourbon’s mellowed significantly by all the sugar in this, but you can really smell the orange. It’s pretty much fantastic, and I’m going to be sipping it in front of the fire* tonight!
*By “fire,” I really mean the recorded Yule Log video. No fireplace. :-(
This really is another one of those cocktails that you can make in a martini pitcher, as long as you keep the ratios the same. Isn’t that great?
Also, did you know that December 5th is Repeal Day? It’s the day we celebrate the repeal of the 18th Amendment, that pesky little bit of legislature that led to Prohibition. Cheers to Repeal Day, everyone!