This past week, I spent a few hours writing an article for my day job about Tiki cocktails. About how a Bay-area bar owner named Vic created the Mai Tai, and a whole bunch of other drinks to celebrate his time spent in the South Pacific. Trader Vic, as he’s now known, basically invented allll of those really alcoholic, really complicated drinks you order at bars when you’re on vacation!
Of course, I don’t have all the ingredients for a Mai Tai at my house (nope, I don’t usually carry French orgeat), so I wanted to whip up something that tasted complicated, but in reality was very simple.
- 1 ounce vanilla rum
- 1 ounce amaretto (It just so happens that I have Trader Vic’s brand amaretto!)
- 2 ounces pineapple juice
- In a shaker over ice, add the ingredients.
- Shake until very cold and frothy.
- Strain into a rocks glass over fresh ice.
- Garnish as you choose– maraschino cherries and pineapple rings would make this a true “pineapple upside down” flavor, but I just went with my cute lobster swizzle stick!