And so, as the clock dings, I guarantee it: we will all be invited to at least five and attend at least one great big Christmas Cookie Exchange this year.
I’ve already got one pencilled in on my calendar, and I’m going through all of my recipes to think of a proper sweet treat to bring. Clearly, “low in fat” or “gluten free” is not necessarily in my vocabulary, but there are a few things I want to tick off my must-have list:
- low in allergens
- not too obscure in flavor
- requires no refrigeration
I picked up the recipe from the Brown Eyed Baker. I didn’t plan on altering the recipe that much, but it turns out I forgot the vanilla when making the batter. That being said, they were delish without the vanilla!
- 2-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup (8 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350*. Grease (or use parchment) in a 9×13″ pan. I used an 8×8″ to make thicker blondies, which I wouldn’t really recommend, actually. The sides puffed up and cooked faster than the middle, which led to a bit of a center crater. Whoops. (Don’t worry, they weren’t burnt– the center just fell in. Perfectly tasty.)
- Whisk together the dry ingredients in a medium bowl. In the bowl of your stand mixer (or in a bowl with your hand mixer) blend your butter and brown sugar until fluffy. Then, add the eggs. On a low speed, slowly add the dry ingredients. Once blended, scrape down the sides of the bowl to make sure that everything is blended in.
- Spread into your greased pan, then sprinkle a mixture of cinnamon and sugar on top. Bake for 25-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted 2″ from the sides comes out mostly clean.
What I’m planning on doing is putting pieces of the blondie themed muffin liners, and then wrapping them in cellophane. Or do you have a better idea for wrapping treats for a Christmas Cookie exchange?
Oh, and obviously: don’t forget to enter my give-away for a $100 West Elm gift card!
a Rafflecopter giveaway