A few notes on Christmas Booze:
- Hot buttered rum is hot rum, with butter in it. Maybe avoid.
- Mulled wine is only as good as your ingredients. It is not meant to be chugged. Splurge on a good bottle of Zinfandel or Merlot for this, because you’re mixing it with apple cider anyway. Pour volume should be 2-4 ounces.
- Hot toddies are lethal. Only one unless you’re looking to escape a bad situation through 14 hours of sleep.
- Under no circumstance are you allowed to buy pre-alcoholed eggnog. Please buy eggnog separately from the alcohol.
- Acceptable eggnog alcohols include:
- Brandy (cognac if you fancy)
- Dark rum
- Hot chocolate is a wonderful mixer. Add white creme de menthe for peppermint hot chocolate, add amaretto for almond hot chocolate. Add Chambord for a fruity/raspberry (technically, cassis) hot chocolate. Do not use schnapps, because the sugar levels are too low for pleasant drinking.
- You may have heard that Calvados is a lovely digestif after a Christmas dinner, and it is! But apple brandy is essentially Liquid Plumr for humans. 1-2 ounces. Total. Unless you want to ruin a party.